Process Engineer (New Graduate)
Mantle is a growth-stage, venture-backed 3D printing company that helps manufacturers bring millions of products to life faster and more affordably while solving manufacturing labor shortages. By combining hardware, software, and materials, Mantle has created a new category of metal additive manufacturing that is being rapidly adopted by major global OEMs, molders, and toolmakers to automate their toolmaking processes. Mantle’s employees thrive in an environment where multiple fields of study come together to solve challenging and important problems. You will join a diverse, cross-functional team working to bring the most advanced precision metal 3D printing technology to market.
As a Process Engineer at Mantle you will develop a deep understanding of our unique metal 3D printing process. Your experiments will dive into complex problems to continually enhance the printing technology, driving improvements in dimensional accuracy, defect mitigation, and surface quality. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working hands-on in a fast-paced R&D environment, where you will have opportunities to work independently and collaborate across cross-functional teams.
- Operate internal fleet of printers and metrology equipment to support process development studies, hardware validation, and customer part projects
- Analyze data sets to improve understanding of the process’ physical mechanisms
- Generate, monitor, and refine quality metrics for printed parts, including dimensional accuracy, surface roughness, and defect size and distribution
- Participate in continuous improvement to internal workflows and system performance, reliability, and scaling
- Develop a deep understanding of Mantle’s metal additive manufacturing process
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams including process, hardware, systems, and software engineers to design and execute experiments. Analyze resulting data and translate findings into actionable process improvements.
- This role will be on-site 5 days a week in our San Francisco offices
- Bachelor’s degree in material science, physics, mechanical engineering, or similar engineering discipline
- Familiarity with experimental design and data collection, analysis, and reporting
Nice to Haves
- Demonstrated ability to gather, process, and draw insights from experimental data sets
- Experience with complex physical processes such as additive manufacturing, semiconductor, solar, or displays industries
- Familiarity with machine learning, data science, or statistical analysis methods, along with proficiency in relevant programming languages like R, JMP, Python, Minitab, or MATLAB
- Hands-on experience operating complex equipment, especially within additive manufacturing or CNC machining
- Experience with metrology techniques and principles, such as GD&T
- Familiarity with metallurgical sample preparation such as cutting, grinding, polishing, etching, and microscopy
- Competitive compensation
- 4 weeks PTO
- 11 paid holidays
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Life and disability insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Equity and 401(k) plan
- Regular team lunches and events
The pay range for this role is $70,000 - $90,000 per year and is commensurate with experience relative to the position. Position also includes stock options that are subject to vesting. Actual compensation will depend on various factors, including experience, skills, and location.
Mantle is an equal opportunity employer. You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Mantle, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.