Senior Software Engineer - Airside
Portugal · Remote
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2023
Onfido is the new identity standard for the internet. We empower people around the globe to reach services they love and need simply, speedily and safely – whether they’re renting a car or opening a bank account or completing a high-value transaction where identity is key. We built a full-service suite of AI-powered identity verification solutions with fairness and inclusiveness at their core, and were awarded ‘Outstanding Leader in Accessibility’ and ‘Best Innovation in Algorithmic Bias Mitigation’ awards at CogX.
Onfido is an established pre-IPO technology company with a prominent position in the global marketplace that has been repeatedly recognized for excellence in performance and innovation. In 2021 we were awarded ‘Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Hot Company’ by CyberDefense Global Infosec Awards, ‘Fraud Prevention Innovation of the Year’ at the CyberSecurity Breakthrough Awards, and named to the CB Insights Fintech 250 for the fourth year running. We've received over $200 million in funding from investors including TPG Growth, Microsoft, and Salesforce to achieve our vision. We partner with thousands of businesses to help millions access services every week – from billion dollar institutions to hypergrowth unicorns. We support identities from 195 countries, and 2,500+ document types. Our recent growth is fuelled by continued increasing demand in the United States – where we’ve grown in year-over-year sales by 264% – as more enterprise organisations accelerate their digital transformation plans with Onfido.
Our goal is to work together to promote and celebrate an inclusive and diverse community. Collectively, all Onfidoers are committed to creating an environment where everyone can be themselves, and where differences are celebrated. We encourage people from all backgrounds and cultures to come together to solve some of the world's most interesting problems.
Backend Engineers at Onfido help our R&D organisation build and operate resilient, scalable and healthy systems.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you'd be joining a talented and friendly team which loves to delight its customers with quality and robust code. We care about user and developer experience and we work in an agile way to regularly ship code to production.
What you will do:
- Work closely with product designers, product managers and other engineers to deliver great experiences to our customers: from building the public API used by our customers, to improving image quality or extracting data from thousands of document types, the challenges here are varied and exciting.
- Prototype and iterate until the solutions are impactful and well polished, with a keen eye for scalability, reliability or performance.
- Champion privacy & security at the core of every product we build to ensure our products meet the high level of expectations we place on the privacy of our customers.
- Take ownership of projects from an idea through system design all the way to execution & delivery, collaborating with different functions and teams within Onfido.
- Improve the reliability and safety of our continuous delivery system by contributing to our test automation and CI/CD pipelines.
- Contribute to fostering a culture of psychological safety, inclusivity, collaboration and continuous improvement within the team through participation in retrospectives and feedback.
- Guide and mentor other engineers, helping us manage debt, plan refactors and improve the quality of our engineering practices.
We deeply value trust, ownership and rapid iteration. Our engineers, product managers and designers work together closely to solve a challenging problem - identity in an online world - and build products that are polished and impactful.
Essential Skills :
- Experience in software engineering, regardless of the language. We prefer to match with candidates that have the mindset we seek and then provide space for individuals to pick-up the required technology (again, flexibility is key here).
- System design, architecture, design patterns, object-oriented programming, cloud-native architectures.
- We value engineers who have a strong product-centric mindset.
- Lean/Agile process. We want you to be involved in all phases of the development lifecycle and bring your unique talents to the process.
- Brilliant team player - communicate and collaborate well with product owners, designers, developers, test engineers and people outside the team.
- Strong interpersonal, spoken, and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
We are technology agnostic at Onfido. We are not looking for you to have experience in all these technologies. As long as you're open to learning, please apply.
- Backend: mostly Python and Ruby at Onfido
- Frontend: React and Typescript
- ML: Tensorflow, Jupyter, Dask
- Kubernetes and Docker for deployment
- AWS for underlying infrastructure (Aurora, Redis, Dynamo, S3, SNS, SQS, CloudFront, API Gateway, etc.)
- Gitlab for software lifecycle management.
For the Airside team at Onfido, we are using Java-based application development.
- Spring Framework, JPA, Spring Security
- Postgresql, DynamoDB
- REST best practices
Airside is a recent acquisition and an Onfido company. Joining this team gives you a chance to work on leading innovation in the world of digital identity, allowing people to build and control their digital identity from their own devices. Airside’s Digital ID solutions create convenience while allowing our members to maintain full control of their data. Airside is best recognised for the Mobile Passport, a top-40 travel app.
The platform and patented technology make it simple for people to prove who they are to anyone at any time. We allow users to build the strongest verified digital identity possible, store their credentials on their own device and decide what to share, with whom, for how long, and for what purpose — to open any door they choose while staying in control of their personal data. They can see who they’ve shared it with and revoke access with one click. We put the users back in control of their privacy and security, protecting both them and businesses from fraudsters, compliance headaches, and data breaches. It’s the easiest and most secure way to access digital and physical services.
The Airside team's vision is Privacy for everyone, everywhere, in an information-sharing world. The mission is to combine smart process design with leading-edge technology to create mobile solutions that fit all areas of your life.
Please see more information about Airside, an Onfido Company, below
Who you are:
We encourage people from all backgrounds, cultures and skill levels to apply. It is okay to not meet all requirements listed as we are looking for individuals who are passionate, eager to learn.
Where you will be:
At Onfido, we have a distributed workforce. This role will be based as advertised on the job description. We have a hybrid model, and you can choose to work fully remote, or come to our offices! We let all of our employees choose what’s best for them.
Onfidoers share a set of core values and want to hear from you if you believe in:
> Succeeding together; you work collaboratively and put the team first
> Taking pride; you care about quality, producing great work and customer / user outcomes
> Creating customer buzz; you demonstrate a strong user / customer focus
> Learning things & sharing them; you have a natural curiosity and default to sharing knowledge with others
> Finding a better way; you’re adept at finding solutions, experimentation and innovating to make things better
We're committed to making Onfido a fantastic place to work, so we go to great lengths to give you what you need to succeed. You’ll receive:
> Share options in Onfido, through our equity schemes. Share options have a one-year cliff and vest over four years
> 25 days annual leave plus a day off for your Birthday.
> Two paid volunteering days per year.*
> Private Medical Insurance through Allianz*
> Life Assurance (3x Annual Base Salary)*
> Generous paid parental leave
> Free mental health coaching provided online.
> Life enrichment allowance of up to €95 per month for services including gym, yoga, fitness classes, massages, childcare, and therapy
> Dedicated learning opportunities including using tools like Learnably with availability to use for learning resources such as books, coaches, conferences, courses, podcasts, and more
> Our open and transparent culture is reflected in our “Better Together” motto and we bring this to life by meeting once a week for our global weekly roundup (OnThursday); holding quarterly team socials, and other company-wide social events
> Expense up to £300 (or local equivalent) to purchase workstation setup equipment
> The opportunity to become a member of Onfido’s resource groups in order to learn different skills in our belonging groups
*after passing probation (3 months)
Check out Life at Onfido via our LinkedIn Careers Page
Onfido is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment. We're always on the lookout for talented, passionate people and encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race or religion. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.