Senior Policy Contractor (Immediate Start- 6 month FTC)
Marketing & Communications
Remote · United Kingdom
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2023
Onfido is the new identity standard for the internet. We empower people around the globe to reach services they love and need simply, speedily and safely – whether they’re renting a car or opening a bank account or completing a high-value transaction where identity is key. We built a full-service suite of AI-powered identity verification solutions with fairness and inclusiveness at their core, and were awarded ‘Outstanding Leader in Accessibility’ and ‘Best Innovation in Algorithmic Bias Mitigation’ awards at CogX.
Onfido is an established pre-IPO technology company with a prominent position in the global marketplace that has been repeatedly recognized for excellence in performance and innovation. In 2021 we were awarded ‘Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Hot Company’ by CyberDefense Global Infosec Awards, ‘Fraud Prevention Innovation of the Year’ at the CyberSecurity Breakthrough Awards, and named to the CB Insights Fintech 250 for the fourth year running. We've received over $200 million in funding from investors including TPG Growth, Microsoft, and Salesforce to achieve our vision. We partner with thousands of businesses to help millions access services every week – from billion dollar institutions to hypergrowth unicorns. We support identities from 195 countries, and 2,500+ document types. Our recent growth is fuelled by continued increasing demand in the United States – where we’ve grown in year-over-year sales by 264% – as more enterprise organisations accelerate their digital transformation plans with Onfido.
Our goal is to work together to promote and celebrate an inclusive and diverse community. Collectively, all Onfidoers are committed to creating an environment where everyone can be themselves, and where differences are celebrated. We encourage people from all backgrounds and cultures to come together to solve some of the world's most interesting problems.
We are looking for a dynamic and driven policy and regulatory affairs expert to support Onfido’s legal and strategy teams on an initial six month contract. This role has the potential to turn into a full time role in 2024. This is an opportunity to play a key role in driving the growth and success of a fast-growing UK tech scale-up with huge ambitions globally. It is a unique time in the history of digital identity, data and AI policy - and you will have the opportunity to shape the evolution of the space through a pioneer in the sector.
The role will be global in nature, and will be responsible for policy and regulatory strategy across the world, with a focus on core markets, particularly EU.
Internally, they will act as a trusted advisor to the GC and senior leadership team, giving the business clear counsel on regulatory strategy and policy. Externally they will engage with external stakeholders including regulators, government bodies and policymakers, to influence and optimise the external environment for Onfido and its customers.
They will work closely with Legal, Strategy, Product Growth and Technology teams. The role could be based in the UK or the EU, and will report into the General Counsel based in London.
- Provide trusted expert policy advice to senior leadership on the external policy and regulatory environment and how to optimise commercially.
- Develop and execute Onfido’s global regulatory strategy to drive our agenda and help shape our product vision in the near and longer term to securing product market fit across multiple markets.
- Develop Onfido’s strategic policy narrative, and engage and educate external stakeholders directly and through coalitions to have maximum impact across the digital identity space and in the interplay with data, AI, biometrics and privacy
- Decisively interpret, synthesise and influence new policy, standards and regulations being drafted and enacted in key geographies across the world, especially UK and EU leveraging the expertise of our trade bodies and external consultants to do so
- Identify market opportunities and threats across multiple verticals and overlapping regulatory spaces in the near and far future for Onfido’s business
- Seek to influence and co-ordinate global standards in digital identity to drive efficiencies in key markets
- Proactively support Onfido’s Growth team in commercial engagements with prospects, clients and partners, positioning Onfido as a thought leader and creating new market opportunities
- Contribute to our external OnPolicy thought leadership blog and engage in external ambassadorial events, speaking at roundtables, panels and at conferences.
Essential skills and experience:
- Strategic regulatory leadership - extensive experience engaging with regulators/policymakers in the UK and Europe at a national and international level, ideally with experience working with the main EU institutions
- Significant demonstrable experience working with tech, financial services or telecom regulators, with appreciation of technical standards, privacy principles and challenges around machine learning, data sovereignty, and cybersecurity a considerable asset
- Minimum of 5+ years solid experience in a similar role, ideally with experience in advocacy for a commercial tech organisation at a startup/scaleup or other fast paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and a collaborative mindset; a true team player with experience leading a stellar team and leveraging expertise across a business
- An agile commercial mindset, with not just the ability to adjust rapidly and frequently to new situations, but the capability to anticipate issues, and support stakeholders to adapt to change
- Proven network of personal contacts at senior levels of UK political, regulatory and commercial organisations. Demonstrable track record of influencing policy and debate in favour of commercial organisation.
- Understanding and aptitude in broader corporate communication, financial communications and reputation management
- Skilled influencer and leader with seniors, peer group and junior colleagues.
- Highly driven and ambitious. Comfortable working within disruptive organisations seeking rapid growth, opening markets and moving quickly.
- Good working knowledge of key EU files including eIDAS, AML and broader tech policy files such as the Data Act, GDPR and AI Act
- Good working knowledge of UK tech policy including data, competition, online safety, AI and biometrics
- Knowledge of standards relating to digital identity such at ETSI and the UK Digital Identity and Attributes Trust Framework
- Demonstrable experience working in and influencing trade bodies and industry coalitions
- Management experience, both in terms of external trade bodies and consultancies.
Onfidoers share a set of core values and want to hear from you if you believe in:
> Succeeding together; you work collaboratively and put the team first
> Taking pride; you care about quality, producing great work and customer / user outcomes
> Creating customer buzz; you demonstrate a strong user / customer focus
> Learning things & sharing them; you have a natural curiosity and default to sharing knowledge with others
> Finding a better way; you’re adept at finding solutions, experimentation and innovating to make things better
We're committed to making Onfido a fantastic place to work, so we go to great lengths to give you what you need to succeed. You will receive:
> 25 days annual leave plus a day off for your Birthday.
> Two paid volunteering days per year.*
> Bupa Private Medical and Dental Insurance*
> Life Assurance (3x Annual Base Salary)*
> Pension with The People’s Pension (employer contribution 4% of base salary)*
> Generous paid parental leaveFree mental health coaching provided online
> Life enrichment allowance of up to £80 per month to use for services including gym, yoga, fitness classes, massages, childcare, and therapy
> Dedicated learning opportunities including using tools like Learnably with availability to use for learning resources such as books, coaches, conferences, courses, podcasts, and more
> Our open and transparent culture is reflected in our “Better Together” motto and we bring this to life by meeting once a week for our global weekly roundup (OnThursday); holding quarterly team socials, and other company-wide social events
> Expense up to £300 (or local equivalent) to purchase workstation setup equipment
> The opportunity to become a member of Onfido’s resource groups in order to learn different skills in our belonging groups
*after passing probation
Personal hyper-growth requires a fast-moving environment, a clear career development plan and—crucially—looking after ourselves.
Onfido Balance is the toolkit we’ve developed to succinctly communicate our benefits offering:
> Our Body benefits prioritise health, wellbeing, exercise and recovery.
> Our Head benefits are focussed heavily on learning whatever your learning style, mental wellness and flexible working.
> Our Heart benefits are framed around sharing our success with our peers, our local communities and our future selves in the form of equity, corporate social responsibility and better togetherness.
Check out Life at Onfido via our LinkedIn Careers Page!
Onfido is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment. We're always on the lookout for talented, passionate people and encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race or religion. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.