Head of IP
Owkin exists to find the right treatment for every patient. Our focus is to use artificial intelligence to discover and develop better treatments for unmet medical needs, starting with the fight against cancer.
In November, Owkin became a 'unicorn' - a startup worth more than $1 billion - through a $180 million investment from pharmaceutical company Sanofi. As a result, we are now looking for the brightest and best talent to help us to go even further in achieving our mission.
Owkin is an AI biotechnology company that uses AI to find the right treatment for every patient. We combine the best of human and artificial intelligence to answer the research questions shared by biopharma and academic researchers. By closing the translational gap between complex biology and new treatments, we bring new diagnostics and drugs to patients sooner.
Owkin has raised over $300 million and became a unicorn through investments from leading biopharma companies (Sanofi and BMS) and venture funds (Fidelity, GV and BPI, among others).
Owkin is seeking the best and brightest to join our fast-growing and dynamic team.
About the role
The successful candidate will report to the Chief Legal Officer and be a member of the Senior Management Team and, as such, contribute to the Company’s goals by instilling strong IP processes and awareness. They will be responsible for building an IP function that promotes a pragmatic and solutions-oriented yet ethical approach to IP and wider legal issues and will be a trusted advisor to the business.
Position is based in the EMEA region, in one of our offices (Paris, London) or remotely.
In particular, you will:
- Implement and execute an IP strategy around our AI technologies, our digital diagnostic tools, and our biological discoveries
- Proactively increasing the awareness of IP within the company and providing internal IP training across the organization
- Develop and maintain a high quality and relevant IP portfolio to protect Owkin’s technology differentiation and R&D pipeline (targets/leads/combos)
- Nurture a robust pipeline of innovative and differentiated ideas that can be converted into IP.
- Ensure the protection of Owkin’s IP rights and freedom to operate
- Act as project leader of large and complex IP driven projects
- Lead the patent drafting process
- Select and procure external IP services, maximizing value from outside counsels
- Review, draft, and negotiate IP related agreements
- Be a proactive, pragmatic and commercial partner to the business, supporting strategic business decisions and negotiations beyond IP to achieve the best possible outcome for the company
- Build and manage a global IP department, primarily situated at key sites in the US & France
- Handle IP matters independently and assume the full responsibility in relation to top management as well as other relevant managers throughout the business organization and sometimes even in relation to the board of directors
- Actively engage in leading the development of the IP organization focusing on continuous improvements, and drive change throughout the business organization
- Take full leadership responsibility to independently handle all HR, forecasting and business planning matters for the IP function
- Effectively communicate and build excellent relationships with all external stakeholders, business partners and main shareholders
- In addition to qualifications in science & law (e.g. european patent attorney from CEIPI or equivalent), the right candidate will be expected to display commercial acumen and an ability to understand and proactively work towards Owkin’s business goals
- Excellent experience in a combination of law firm and in-house IP positions
- Demonstrable experience in a management role and in working effectively in a global team, preferably within a start-up environment
- A proven track record of effectively collaborating with and leading cross-border projects in a global organization and of effectively working across different cultures
- A track record of inspiring, developing and empowering others within an international environment and considerable exposure to IP matters in the US and Europe
- Taking a global perspective when developing and proposing solutions with the ability to manage competing requirements
- Proven ability to build, develop and enhance international IP teams and to create an inclusive and accessible vision for the function
- An incisive, open-minded and strategic thinker who is at ease in a developing, growing international environment and able to excel in a nimble and dynamic organization
- Clear attention to detail and personal drive to produce consistently accurate work
- Fluency in English is a prerequisite; additional language skills French would be considered advantageous
What we offer
- Competitive salary & excellent benefits package
- Flexible work organization and access to remote work
- Friendly and informal working environment
- Opportunity to work with an international team with high technical and scientific backgrounds
Recruitment Process & Security
- Please attach a CV.
- Owkin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status or on the basis of disability.
- Owkin is a great place to work. Unfortunately, being a coveted workplace means we are vulnerable to recruitment phishing scams. We urge all job seekers and candidates to be wary of potential scams. Most of these have individuals posing as representatives of prominent companies, including Owkin, with the aim of obtaining personal, sensitive, or financial information from applicants. These scams prey upon an individual’s desire to obtain a job and can sometimes “feel” like a genuine recruitment process. Some red flags are identified below. Should you encounter a recruitment process that claims to be for Owkin but is not consistent with the below, please do not provide any personal or financial information:
- Legitimate Owkin recruitment processes include communication with candidates through recognized professional networks, such as LinkedIn. However, further
- communication is always through an official Owkin email address (from the @owkin.com domain), over the phone or though Recruitment platforms (WelcomeKit, talent.io, hidden.market, Fifty Talent or Hiresweet);
- Legitimate Owkin recruiters will not solicit personal data from candidates during the application phase including, but not limited to, date of birth, social security numbers, or bank account information;
- Legitimate Owkin interviews may be conducted over the phone, in person, or via an approved enterprise videoconferencing service (such as Google Meets or Highfive). They will never occur via Signal, Telegram or Messenger
- Legitimate Owkin offers of employment are based on merit and only extended once a candidate has interviewed with members of the hiring team. Offers will be extended both verbally and in written format. Owkin may request some personal information to initiate the hiring process, but this will be through protected means.
If you think that you have been a victim of fraud,
- Check the identity of recruiters on LinkedIn and the website https://owkin.com/team/
- Check the existence of the position on our website https://owkin.welcomekit.co/
- contact the following authorities:
- Contract Type:Full-Time
- Possible full remote
Sounds like something made for you?
Something looks off?