Senior Scientist (Oncology/High content imaging)
Owkin is an AI biotechnology company that uses AI to find the right treatment for every patient. We combine the best of human and artificial intelligence to answer the research questions shared by biopharma and academic researchers. By closing the translational gap between complex biology and new treatments, we bring new diagnostics and drugs to patients sooner.
Owkin has raised over $300 million and became a unicorn through investments from leading biopharma companies (Sanofi and BMS) and venture funds (Fidelity, GV and BPI, among others).
Owkin is seeking the best and brightest to join our fast-growing and dynamic team.
About the role:
We are looking for a highly motivated scientist with experience in complex 2D and 3D cell culture and confocal imaging to join the Owkin Lab. The successful candidate will work as part of a team that, by exploiting patient-derived organoids and other complex in vitro systems, is developing and implementing cutting-edge cellular, imaging and molecular techniques with a multimodality analytic approach to deliver novel personalized immuno-oncology medicines.
The best person for this role has the capacity to think creatively and a demonstrated ability to work proactively in multi-disciplinary collaborations involving a high level of teamwork but also autonomy. This is an exciting opportunity to discover novel cancer disease biology and bring in capability advancements that enable the team to remain at the forefront of target discovery.
In particular, you will:
- Design, implement, analyze, and interpret high content imaging assays to support target validation data package
- Develop and characterize novel clinically relevant 3D in vitro models using primary cells (organoids, 3D culture, spheroids, co-culture) to enable validation
- Maximize information content derived from imaging readouts through internal collaboration with other biologists and data scientists.
- Develop SOPs on your area of expertise and optimize workflows
- Design, optimize and execute disease-relevant cell-based assays and read-outs, including genetic/chemical perturbation assays
- Maintain accurate electronic laboratory notebooks in a timely fashion and prepare technical reports, summaries, protocols, etc.
- Collaborate with colleagues in other functional areas to support drug discovery efforts
- Train other colleagues as needed and contribute to building a cohesive, collaborative and communicative team environment
Position is based in our laboratory Paris 14.
Required qualifications / experience:
- PhD or equivalent in an Oncology/Cell Biology or relevant life-sciences degree
- Minimum of three years’ experience working in an industrial setting after PhD
- Extensive experience in confocal microscopy, high content imaging, image analysis
- Experience in isolating and handling human primary cells
- Experience with 3D model systems (matrix-attached models, spheroids and/or organoids) using primary cells
- Understanding or use of CRISPR Cas-9 technologies
- A practical understanding of assay optimization to enable generation of reproducible high quality cellular assays
Preferred qualifications and skills:
- Deep understanding of cancer biology and comprehension of crucial steps in early steps of target validation
- Curiosity: you enjoy understanding how pieces fit together in the larger, complex system
- Able to scout for scientific and technical developments in the area of gene modulation and 3D complex tumor models.
- Strong communications skills and ability to present research succinctly
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team-oriented, fast-paced environment
- Ability to troubleshoot experiments independently
- Great attention to detail with excellent record keeping and presentation skills
- Ability to fit and thrive in a continuously-learning and supportive work environment
What we offer
- Flexible work organization and access to remote work
- Friendly and informal working environment
- Opportunity to work with an international team with high technical and scientific backgrounds
Recruitment Process & Security
- Please complete the form and submit your CV.
- Owkin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status or on the basis of disability.
- Owkin is a great place to work. Unfortunately, being a coveted workplace means we are vulnerable to recruitment phishing scams. We urge all job seekers and candidates to be wary of potential scams. Most of these have individuals posing as representatives of prominent companies, including Owkin, with the aim of obtaining personal, sensitive, or financial information from applicants. These scams prey upon an individual’s desire to obtain a job and can sometimes “feel” like a genuine recruitment process. Some red flags are identified below. Should you encounter a recruitment process that claims to be for Owkin but is not consistent with the below, please do not provide any personal or financial information:
- Legitimate Owkin recruitment processes include communication with candidates through recognized professional networks, such as LinkedIn.
- Communication is always through an official Owkin email address (from the @owkin.com domain), over the phone or though our applicant tracking system (Greenhouse).
- The Owkin talent team do use platforms such as LinkedIn and Job Teaser, however if you have any concern or doubt about this contact, please ask for them to send an email from @Owkin.com.
- The Owkin talent team will not solicit personal data from candidates during the application phase including, but not limited to, date of birth, social security numbers, or bank account information;
- Legitimate Owkin interviews may be conducted over the phone, in person, or via an approved enterprise videoconferencing service (Google Meets). They will not occur via Signal, Telegram or Messenger
- Owkin offers of employment are based on merit and only extended once a candidate has interviewed with members of the talent and hiring team. Offers will be extended both verbally and in written format.
If you think that you have been a victim of fraud,
- Check the identity of recruiters on LinkedIn.
- Check the existence of the position on our website https://owkin.com/hiring
- contact the following authorities: