Transit Data Analyst (contractor preferred, open to FTE)
IT, Data Science
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2023
Swiftly is on a mission to help cities move more efficiently. We are the leading transit data platform for agencies to share real-time passenger information, manage day-to-day operations, and improve service performance. Today, over 145 transit agencies in 8 countries – including LA Metro, MARTA, SEPTA, MBTA, and WMATA – rely on Swiftly to improve on-time performance by up to 40% and increase passenger information accuracy by up to 50%. The result is better service reliability, increased ridership, and more efficient transit operations.
Data at Swiftly
We thrive on data. It is the lifeblood of our platform and we want to empower our internal teams with data as much as we empower our customer agencies. You will lead our internal data strategy and serve as a cross-functional expert to develop data visualizations and reporting that will benefit the sales, marketing, and customer teams. You will have the opportunity to work with a diverse array of data infrastructure and tooling including PowerBI, Amplitude, Data Studio, JupyterHub, and APIs.
This role will initially report to the CMO as we start to lay the foundation for our internal data strategy.
About the role
Swiftly is immediately seeking a contractor to support a project working with our sales, customer success, and marketing teams to build dashboards that will help demonstrate the impact of the Swiftly platform. Depending on business needs and individual interest and fit, there is a potential path to become a full-time employee.
We are also open to candidates looking for a full-time role only, so we encourage you to apply still if that’s the case; however, candidates open to contracting (at least to start) are preferred in the immediate term.
We are open to candidates in all locations across the U.S. as well as Ontario, Canada. At this time we are unable to provide Visa sponsorship. #LI-Remote
Contractor project (our most immediate need)
Over 145 transit agencies in 8 countries rely on Swiftly to improve on-time performance by up to 40%, increase passenger information accuracy by up to 50%, and accelerate analyses and planning projects by up to 90%. At Swiftly, we call these value proof-points 40-50-90. We want to arm our entire go-to-market function (sales, customer success, and marketing) with dashboards that bring these value proof-points to life so we can quickly and easily demonstrate value to customer and prospect agencies. Your job will be to work closely with marketing, sales, CS, and our product team to understand our data architecture, dissect the best way to model each of the elements of 40-50-90, and build dashboards that visualize these elements.
Potential full-time responsibilities (if you are converted to or hired in as an FTE)
If you are eventually converted to, or hired in as, a full-time Swiftly employee, your full-time role will span everything from thought leadership insights to performance dashboards for agencies to ad-hoc analyses that will help bolster renewal and sales conversations with customers and prospects. More specifically, you will:
-Create compelling, clear, and powerful visualizations of our dataCollaborate with marketing, sales, and customer teams to discuss problems, design analytics frameworks, pull in the most relevant data for the business, and develop solutions
-Understand Swiftly business goals and the transit industry data domain to provide thought leadership in creating, maintaining, and documenting a robust set of metrics to monitor day-to-day agency performance
-Empower Swiftly employees to use data effectively in their day-to-day by training folks on data, dashboards, and reports and enabling key people to contribute to them
-Partner with the product and engineering teams to evolve our data infrastructure based on learnings from the customer and prospect-facing teams
-Develop content and deliver key strategic insights to the executive team via business and metrics review meetings
-Proactively identify areas of opportunity across the Swiftly platform to help drive decision making and strategic directionHelp guide the internal data strategy at Swiftly overall
Who you are
- You are a curious and passionate problem-solver who will not shy away from complexity or uncertainty! Come join us and use your expertise to help us find opportunities and guide our business into the future with powerful insights and recommendations.
- 3+ years of work experience involving quantitative data analysis and complex problem solving
- Strong proficiency in data analysis and visualization tools including Excel and at least 1 of the major Business Intelligence tools (e.g. PowerBI, Tableau, Looker)
- Some familiarity working with open-source languages like Python
- Experience integrating with various data sources including databases, APIs, and CSVs
- Experience designing data visualizations with demonstrable examples of telling a compelling story through data
- Experience in the public transportation industry and/or a passion for learning transit highly preferred
- Superb communication skills with the ability to distill complex issues and detailed analysis into simple, structured frameworks with concrete action plans
- Able to work cross-functionally and influence business partners to set realistic goals and focus on data-driven solutions
- Experience presenting results and insights to senior leadership
- Strong bias for action and impact informed by your data insights
- Expert at applying the “80/20” rule and estimating the impact and relative priority of a potential analysis project
- Intuitive understanding of core statistical concepts, such as probability, randomness, correlation and sampling distributions
- Undergraduate or Master's degree in a quantitative field (e.g. science, engineering, economics, quantitative finance, operations research, statistics, or similar) or equivalent proven real-world experience within business analytics
Beyond the Skills:
- We are looking for candidates who are passionate about mobility, sustainability, or mission-oriented projects that have a significant real-world impact. Ideal candidates encompass the core values of our company:
- Team. You’re a team player that believes in working with others to accomplish big goals.
- Communication. You believe openness and honesty underpin effective communication.
- Feedback. You’re a voracious learner. You seek and give constructive feedback to improve your practice.
- Growth. You are passionate about our work of growing the smart transit industry.
- Diversity. You cherish other perspectives and opinions.
- Impact. You regularly evaluate the return on investment to optimize for positive impact.
We are a truly mission-driven culture that is set to change the world of transit
Don’t just hit the apply button. We want to hear more about you. Tell us:
- Why are you passionate about mobility?
- What interests you about Swiftly?
We are an equal opportunity employer - we are committed to a workplace that is as dynamic, diverse, and passionate as the communities we serve.
Because we work with public agencies, we participate in E-Verify.