Senior Backend Software Engineer
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2023
What is Sylvera anyway? 👩👨🌳
Sylvera provides carbon data for genuine climate impact. Our mission is to incentivize investment in real climate action.
Purchasing credits through the carbon markets is one of the most established and scalable ways to channel finance from the private sector to effective climate solutions and work toward societal net zero. Unfortunately, the voluntary carbon markets have been plagued with mistrust and a lack of effectiveness since they’ve emerged – until Sylvera.
To help organizations ensure they're making the most effective investments, Sylvera builds software that independently and accurately automates the evaluation of carbon projects that capture, remove, or avoid emissions. With Sylvera's data and tools, businesses and governments can confidently invest in, benchmark, deliver, and report real climate impact.
Our team is made up of the leading minds in climate change from scientists to academics. We work in partnership with scientific organisations, universities, governments and think tanks to develop and test rigorous and holistic ratings methodologies, leveraging the latest technology. Founded in 2020, Sylvera has 150+ employees across the world with offices in London, New York and Belgrade. We’ve raised over $96million from leading VCs like Balderton Capital, Index Ventures and Insight Partners to date.
What will I be doing? 👩💻👨💻
At the heart of Sylvera's vision to deliver high-quality environmental data seamlessly and efficiently is the API Foundation Team. As the backbone of our technology, we are building Sylvera's backend to ensure optimal performance, scalability, and data accessibility. Our prime objective is to minimize the time between data availability on our data platform and its consumption by our customers. We also work in the product teams to deliver features through our existing public-facing API for API customers as well as our web applications.
We’re looking for mission-driven, innovative Backend Engineers to join our API Foundation Team and bring technical expertise, strategic thinking, and a passion for efficient data delivery. In the API Foundation Team, our challenge is maintaining API elegance and data accessibility despite a continuously expanding data set. We need to provide direct data access into data products of a data mesh in a low latent and performant way for our customers. As a part of our team, you will:
- Design & Integration: Construct and optimize API solutions that bridge our data platform with its consumers, working on designing the future of our API and building features on our existing API.
- Optimization & Scalability: Ensure minimal latency, improve developer experience, and prepare our backend for the scaling of data.
- Collaboration: Work in tandem with product teams to meet their unique API requirements.
- Feedback & Improvement: Actively gather feedback, implement enhancements, and stay abreast of the latest backend advancements.
- Documentation & Security: Safeguard our endpoints, maintain impeccable documentation, and ensure robust data protection.
- Support & Troubleshooting: Act as a vital support pillar for API-related issues, guaranteeing swift resolutions.
Joining the API Foundation Team means you'll be at the epicenter of our technological evolution. If shaping the way data is consumed and making impactful contributions to environmental data accessibility resonate with you, then you're the talent we're searching for.
We’re looking for someone who: 🧠💚
- Has a demonstrated track record of expertise in software development
- Has extensive hands-on experience working with APIs and deep understanding of API best practices
- Has experience working with stakeholders to deliver responsive, well-tested solutions
- Has strong communication skills to adapt well to our highly collaborative environment
- Has a product and customer mindset and thinks holistically about solutions
- Cares deeply about the climate and ecosystems of the earth
- Is a self-starter who thrives in constantly evolving environments, ideally with startup experience
We’d like someone highly ambitious, motivated and eager to propel their career forward. We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description.
Tech Stack 🧑💻
We’re tech agnostic when hiring, so you don’t need experience with this stack to apply. If you’re not familiar with this stack, then it’s a great opportunity to join our team and learn new technologies (and we’ll support that).
- REST/ GraphQL API protocols
- AWS as our cloud service provider
We’d like someone highly ambitious, motivated and eager to propel their career forward. We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description
- Equity in a rapidly growing startup
- No corners cut in having the best tech to do your job
- Unlimited annual leave - and encouragement to actually use it!
- Enhanced parental leave
- Up to 20 days paid sick leave
- £500 WFH allowance
- Access to Mental Health support via Spill
- Monthly team socials
UK (with access to an office in London if you wanted to come in)
Our Values 🙌
Own it: We believe in giving people the autonomy to own their impact.
Stay curious: Our business is built on transparency and debunking misperceptions.
Do what’s right - even when it’s hard: The right path isn’t always easy or obvious.
Collaborate with kindness: Great teams are built on open communication and respect.
What if you’re a partial fit? 🌱
We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description.
Equal employment opportunity 🌈
Sylvera is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.